In rare cases, after importing a wpress file, your website might stop working. I’ll list the possible causes and how to resolve them.
- You are using premium themes/plugins – check with the theme or plugin provider to ensure that your license allows you to use their product on more than one WordPress install. We’ve seen plugins and themes that will lock the WordPress after import because of the license of the product. You could disable the plugin to regain access to your install by:
- Login to your server via FTP/SSH
- Navigate to wp-content/plugins
- Rename the plugin that you suspect might be breaking your website. I usually append a “disabled” word to the folder name. Here is an example, the plugin name is “wp-gallery”. I will rename it to “wp-gallery-disabled”.
- Refresh the website after renaming the plugin or theme. If your website is still not working, keep on renaming the plugins until you find the culprit.
- Your PHP version is different between export and imported sites – most plugins/themes have been tested with a particular PHP version in mind. Make sure to use the same PHP version between the two sites or you might run into issues. If your website displays a blank page or 500 error, you can edit the wp-config.php and enable WP_DEBUG. Here is a guide how to do it: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress. Once you enable WP_DEBUG, refresh the website and see if you get an error message. In most cases, a fatal error will be displayed. Note the location of the file that is triggering this error. You can attempt to fix it yourself if you know what you are doing or contact the plugin/theme author to help you with it.
- If you are getting a PHP file downloaded instead of being able to access your file it is because a theme or plugin is writing additional lines to your .htaccess file. You can delete the .htaccess file and gain access to your website.
- If you are still unable to determine the cause of the problem, our support team will come to the rescue. You can reach us at support at servmask dot com.